Watch this section. We'll be adding new mini-trips throughout the semester. Some of these trips are added within 2 weeks of departure. Check back often.
Last summer, we added "mini-trips" to ORGT offerings. Due to the positive response, we'll be adding more through the semester. "Mini-trips" are perfect for those who just want to get away for a relaxed, half-day hiking trip.
These are small, 1/2-day hikes within 90-minutes or of Atlanta. They last roughly from 8 a.m. to about 3 p.m. They're an opportunity to get out of town and splash around in a creek or hike to the top of a hill and catch a pretty view. Mini-trips are limited to 6 people plus 2 or 3 ORGT staff. They're fun escapes from campus. The cost is just $15 per person.
You can register for mini-trips on-line at mycrc.gatech.edu. You do still need to register in-person at the Wilderness Outpost for our standard day- and overnight-adventures.
Full-day and overnight weekend adventures have been a staple ORGT offerings for over 50 years!
Will be your first outdoor adventure trip? Don't worry, most trips are beginner friendly. ORGT is a CRC program, not a club. We offer more than 100 open-enrollment adventure trips each year plus a whole lot more.
Trips are led by skilled Georgia Tech students and alumni. While paddling, caving, backpacking, and climbing aren't rocket science, our trip leaders are rocket scientists (or are at least on their way to becoming something close to it.) When GT students apply the same passion to leading adventure experiences that they put into academics, the results are amazing.
All trip registrations--except ORGT Mini-trip sign-ups--require you to stop by the Wilderness Outpost. The Outpost is located downstairs in the the CRC. You can register for trips as early as 30-days before the day of departure. You can register for mini-trips as soon as they are posted.
More information on how to sign up can be found at the bottom of this page.
Successful participation in an adventure progression could lead to you one day being an ORGT leader. Just ask the staff on your next adventure and they'll direct you to the next steps, including nomination, acceptance, orientation, and ongoing training.
Upcoming Summer Mini-trips
Register for MIni-trips at mycrc.gatech.edu. Find the trips by clicking 'All Programs', then navigating to 'Outdoor Recreation' under the 'classification' tab. You cnan also enter 'Mini' in the search bar.
Fee is just $15.00 per person.
- We will begin adding Fall 2023 trips after September 1 and continue to add more through the year. Below are examples of trips offered during this past summer.
- Stay tuned for more fall mini-trips.
|Destination||Sample Mini-trips from Summer 2023.||Date|
Explore Amicalola. Stunning views of the surrounding mountains, pass under a stone arch marking the beginning of the Appalachian Trail, and cross a bridge alongside Georgia's tallest waterfall.
6 mile loop hike through gorgeous, scenic Blood Mountain area. 1500 ft elevation gain. Great views.
Hike several miles around Tallulah Gorge and over the scenic suspension bridge. Elevation change is 600 ft. Enjoy watermelon and waterfalls. Picnic lunch and break at Bridal Veil Falls. Numerous scenic overlooks along the route.
Hike along the he Pine Mountain Trail in FDR State Park. Beautiful views of southern Georgia plus a little history. FDR State Park offers a glimpse into the history of FDR's Presidency, the Great Depression through his battle with Polio.
Trip Details (This info DOES NOT apply to Mini-trips).
Trips include expert instruction, specialty equipment, and transportation. We’ll provide a "What to Bring" list so you are prepared for factors such as weather and physical activity, but typically, participants do not need to purchase any equipment in order to participate. You are responsible for bringing their own food and snacks, as well as money to purchase breakfast and/or dinner if you want to eat out along the way.
We keep group sizes small so we can ensure quality experiences. Most trips are open to 10 or fewer participants.
Trips involve a 2-3 hour required class session the week before your trip. The trip leader will e-mail you with details. During this pre-trip meeting, you'll meet trip leaders, learn basic skills, be oriented to what to expect, and get answers to any questions you may have.
Some trips have pre-requisites. Before going on a paddling trip, you'll have to pass a swimming test in the CRC pool, which consists of swimming 25-50 yards and treading water for a minute. You may not wear a PFD (personal flotation device) for the test. To register for an intermediate-level trip, you must have successfully completed a beginner trip.
Register for mini-trips at mycrc.gatech.edu.
There are no pre-trip classes before Mini-trips.
Who is Eligible?
- Outdoor Recreation serves the Georgia Tech Campus community.
- Adventure trips are intended to enhance experiences for current students.
- Students, faculty, and staff may rent gear and register for open-enrollment instructional adventure trips. Because ORGT experiences are partially underwritten by student fees, faculty and staff rates are 2x's the published student rates. Sorry, alumni are not eligible.
- We reserve the right to limit the number of guests and faculty or staff participants on any trip.
- In the past, we have allowed GT students to bring one guest on adventure trips. We have suspended this practice until further notice.
- No one under age 18--unless a current Georgia Tech student with a waiver signed by a parent or guardian--may participate on any adventure trip.
- As of January 8, 2023, all registration for trips is in-person at the Wilderness Outpost only.
- The Wilderness Outpost is open 2-7 p.m., Monday to Thursday, and 2-5 p.m. on Friday. Call 404-894-7420 during open hours if you have additional questions about trips.
- How do you find the Wilderness Outpost? We're located on the lowest level of the CRC. If you enter the front doors of the CRC, walk down the hallway past the Member Services desk, then continue down the stairs at the end of the hallway, and follow the signs. You can also access the Outdoor Recreation office by entering the backdoor of the CRC under the "Outdoor Recreation" sign.
- Trips fill on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration opens 30 days before the start date of the trip. Trips fill quickly.
- Trip prices average $40-50.
- While we do not often cancel trips, it does happen occasionally--most often due to inclement weather. If we cancel a trip due to poor weather or some other factor, you are entitled to a full refund.
- If you cancel your registration at least 7 days before the trip, you are entitled to a credit that can be applied to future trips or rentals. To cancel, email the Wilderness Outpost at email@example.com.
- Refunds are not given if you fail to show-up for your trip.